Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dance is my Zen

Dance isn't just a part of my life, it's part of who I am. As I sat and tried to think of a new blog topic over the weekend I realized this is a huge part of me that I've never written about. For me dance is not about working out, a childhood dream, or being a prima ballerina. Dance is my Zen. Some people go running, some do yoga, some go to church, and others prefer a bubble bath. It's all the same. It's a chance to center myself and calm my brain of all the crazy going on around me. When I'm dancing I have to focus on dance and tune out life. I'm either focused on improving that technique, performing, or just dancing until my body and brain are numb.

I used to think it was only when I put on those pink ballet shoes and tied my hair back in a bun that I found a zen moment. I recently joined a tap company (just to try something new). I hadn't taken a tap class in over 10 year so I didn't think this would be relaxing...or pretty for anyone watching. Now don't get me wrong, after a 2 hour rehearsal, my dogs are barking and my mind is tired, but I can still have my zen. I'm working on getting to the pretty to watch stage, but in the mean time I have made some wonderful new friends and I know that once a week I have me time.

People may describe dance differently but for most a good wikipedia definition will do. For me, dance is my zen.

dance
verb (used without object)
1.
to move one's feet or body, or both, rhythmically in a pattern of steps, especially to the accompaniment of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment