Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dance is my Zen

Dance isn't just a part of my life, it's part of who I am. As I sat and tried to think of a new blog topic over the weekend I realized this is a huge part of me that I've never written about. For me dance is not about working out, a childhood dream, or being a prima ballerina. Dance is my Zen. Some people go running, some do yoga, some go to church, and others prefer a bubble bath. It's all the same. It's a chance to center myself and calm my brain of all the crazy going on around me. When I'm dancing I have to focus on dance and tune out life. I'm either focused on improving that technique, performing, or just dancing until my body and brain are numb.

I used to think it was only when I put on those pink ballet shoes and tied my hair back in a bun that I found a zen moment. I recently joined a tap company (just to try something new). I hadn't taken a tap class in over 10 year so I didn't think this would be relaxing...or pretty for anyone watching. Now don't get me wrong, after a 2 hour rehearsal, my dogs are barking and my mind is tired, but I can still have my zen. I'm working on getting to the pretty to watch stage, but in the mean time I have made some wonderful new friends and I know that once a week I have me time.

People may describe dance differently but for most a good wikipedia definition will do. For me, dance is my zen.

dance
verb (used without object)
1.
to move one's feet or body, or both, rhythmically in pattern of steps, especially to the accompaniment of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment