Monday, January 10, 2011

Yummy and Easy Breakfast casserole

My last post was about people who actually plan ahead. Well I am experimenting with that idea this week and included in the menu was a breakfast casserole that I could freeze part of for those mornings when you don't want to cook but need something warm. I cannot take credit for this recipe since I stole it from my mom. I did slightly alter for someone's dislike of onions but he seemed happy this morning eating 2 pieces :-) 

4 cups cubed day-old bread
1 lb. turkey sausage, cooked & drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
10 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cans evaporated milk
1 tsp. dry mustard
¼ tsp. onion powder (didn't use the onion powder)
Black pepper to taste

Place bread in greased 13 X 9 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Combine milk, eggs, mustard, onion powder and pepper in bowl. Pour evenly over bread and cheese.  Sprinkle with sausage. Cover; refrigerate overnight.  Next morning, bake at 325 for 55-60 min. Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.

My goal is to slowly modify this to be healthier for the future by trying egg whites and a possible evaporated milk substitute. Since it is an egg casserole I'm not sure an egg substitute would work for those with allergies but if someone tries it please let me know. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment