Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easy healthy Crockpot Dinner

On Saturday I pulled out the cook books and made a 2 week meal plan for the hubby and I. I forced myself to use new and different types of recipes at least twice. It includes some dinners and some stuff that I can make and then freeze off for nights when we just don't have the energy to cook. So tonight's plan was a crockpot meal that was a gamble but sounded interesting. So last night was new recipe #1: Spinach Spoon Bread. I found it in a great book that my mother-in-law gave us last year for Easter that I am determined to use more. It's one of those mix it all up and dump it in recipes. As I do with most recipes I made my own adjustments.

1 package of frozen spinach thawed and drained
1 cup cottage cheese
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup butter
some salt and pepper
3 bunches off green onions chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
3/4 cup gluten free flour
1 tblsn baking powder
about 1 tblsn of corn starch

Mix it all together and throw in the crock pot on low for 3-4 hours. Mine was in for a full 4 hours and was a little crispy around the edge (but not burnt).

The result was a green mush looking thing that both the hubby and I really liked! I think next time I make it I'll try to make it meatier or put it with some chicken since we were both still a bit hungry after.

Tonight's meal plan is open since I have a work meeting but I am making some beef stew that we can freeze off for those busy nights. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment