Monday, December 27, 2010

Grandma Griffin's sticky buns...Christmas tradition

This is a family recipe that is so good I just can't keep it to myself. I never met my Great-grandmother but I know all about her because of one Christmas recipe- Sticky buns. These are not your traditional cinnamon rolls with frosting. These are made with a syrup sauce and they melt in your mouth. 




My Dad said when he was little, his grandmother would make tons of these on Christmas morning and his whole family would just gobble them up. He has carried on the tradition and I think my sisters and I would riot if we didn't have them on Christmas morning. This year my Dad and I made them together and on accident used whole wheat flour. We decided to experiment and do one batch with regular flour and one with whole wheat to see how the new version measured up.We made each dough the night before and put them in the garage (it was cold enough and there was no room in the fridge). The next morning we woke up before my sisters and my mom and got started on breakfast. Dad made the sauce while I worked on the dough.

Once you pull them out of the oven, flip them onto a plate before they cool and let the sauce drip down the rolls so they are all sticky and gooey.

Grandma Griffin’s Sticky Buns

Ice box roll dough
1\2 cup sugar
1 Tbls. Shortening, or butter
2 cups of boiling water
1 Tbls salt
2 eggs
1 pkg yeast (in1\4 cup hot water with a pinch of sugar)
5-6 cups of flour ( more if needed)

Pour boiling water over sugar and shortening and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
Lightly beat eggs and add to above. Add yeast, mix lightly. Add flour and knead until the dough
is stiff but not dry. Cover and put in refrigerator overnight.

In the morning:
Preheat oven to 325

Topping
1\4 lb. butter
3\4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbls. Syrup
1 tsp cinnamon

Melt all of the above together. Pour into the bottom of 2 baking dishes, a cake or pie
dish works well. Roll out the dough thin. Brush with butter, sprinkle
with sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Cut in strips about one inch wide. Roll up and
place in topping. Bake for approx. 30 min. Remove and turn upside down on a plate.
Makes 2 plates.

Let cool slightly and enjoy!!! My Dad would probably suggest to enjoy them with some strong, hot coffee.

We decided that it doesn't actually matter which flour you use. Both tasted great and if it had been a blind taste test I wouldn't have known the difference. I plan to make these again with more allergy friendly ingredients so look forward to that in the next few months.

Till next time...

1 comment:

  1. I think the whole wheat sticky buns are better the next day than the regular wheat. Both are good right out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete