Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tropical Tradition's Coconut oil in my Grandma's sugar cookies

My first "official" review. Also my first experience with coconut oil. Here was my initial thoughts that I wrote in an email to a friend who wanted the recipe:


This is my grandmother's cookie recipe that I modified. My changes are in red. Coconut oil was different than working with butter but I really liked it. Must be melted first but if it's too hot it cooks the egg.


1 C. butter- used 1 cup of melted coconut oil
1 1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
4 C. sifted flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
8 tsps. milk- vanilla soy milk


Cream sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a seperate bowl. Add milk and stir. Combine with sugar mixture. Chill dough. Roll out until 1/4" thick. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.


Frosting:
1 lb. powdered suger
1/2 C. melted butter- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
capful of coconut extract- didn't actually use this
water to make spreadable.


The cookies turned out great and the 4 dozen I have brought to work this week have all disappeared. People who like coconut really liked the flavor. Next time I use coconut oil in baking I will let it cool a tad first, without letting is congeal again, before mixing it with eggs. Sorry I didn't take any picture of them but they are your basic sugar cookies with white frosting. You can put candies or sprinkles on the tops after frosting them. My Grandma used to put red hots and Hersey kisses on top! 

I will definitely use coconut oil on a regular basis. Any recipe suggestions welcome!


See below for some information from Tropical Traditions which is where the coconut oil came from. Thanks to them I was able to try something new in my kitchen that will probably become a regular item. 


To acquire your own complimentary copy of Virgin Coconut Oil book visit the following site: 
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/referral_program.htm
Choose “Referred by a Friend” and enter the User ID: 6711882 on your first online order, the book will be automatically added to your order and you will receive a coupon good for complimentary products for each referral made. 


Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product.

No comments:

Post a Comment