Monday, December 20, 2010

Major Update: Hospital stay, new foods, and no diagnosis

I was hospitalized for 5 days the week after Thanksgiving. I had been holding off on posting this on my blog because I was waiting for a diagnosis of what landed me there, but since that hasn't happened (and may not for a while) I figured I would share with you all. So here is an overview.

Stomach pains and headache began Thanksgiving night but figured I ate too much (even though I was really good and didn't stuff myself). Friday morning I was supposed to go wedding dress shopping with my future Mother-in-law and one of my bridesmaids. I was just too sick to even get out of bed. Later that day I was convinced to go to the urgent care where I was given antibiotics and told to go to the ER if anything got worse or I spiked a fever.

Long story short, after 2 ER trips, a fever of 103 for more than 2 days, 2 types of CT scans and an ultrasound I was admitted (with no diagnosis). The pain was severe and sharp at the top of my abdomen, and if I moved it was worse. Then 5 days later, after a lot of pain and nausea medicine, tons of antibiotics, no food, a scope down my throat test (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) ), and a ton of blood work I was allowed to go home.
Results showed that I have a stomach full of ulcers, a lazy stomach (gastroparesis- my stomach doesn't empty properly) and a lot of inflammation in my stomach, duodenum, and intestines. The bigger problem is "what is causing all this"? 

While I wait for diagnosis (which I'm sure will include more testing) I am on a ton of pills each day to help my stomach heal the ulcers and "re-train" it to pass food normally. I am feeling so much better but can tell I'm not back to my normal self. 

There is a huge silver lining....I am not allergic to wheat, dairy or corn!!!!!!!!! So my food options have opened up enormously! I am still avoiding all nuts, seeds, oats and rice until further testing can occur. The doctors are thinking that I was never really allergic but rather all the stomach pain after eating was actually from the gastroparesis. It's good because I can eat more foods and eat out easier but not great because I need to know why I have gastroparesis. 

I want to thank each of you for sending emails, facebook notes, texts, phone calls, and tweets while I was bored. A big thanks to my parents and future in-laws for my pretty flowers and all their support, my 2 girlfriends who came to visit while I was all drugged up, my friend who sent me music to keep me occupied, my nurse friend who always checked on my status (even while she was on vacation with her man), and my 2 DU girls who sent tons of texts and emails. A huge thank you goes out to my fiancĂ©e who was by my side as often as I let him and who continues to take care of me. 

As this "saga" continues I hope I will get good news and it will be very short lived. In the mean time I hope everyone has a wonderful and relaxing holiday season.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment